Dr. Carolina Araujo Barcelos, Ph.D
Carolina Barcelos is part of the Fermentation and Product Recovery group at ABPDU and her focus is on process optimization for biofuels, bioproducts, and chemical precursors in a variety of bacterial, yeast and fungal expression hosts. Before join the ABPDU team, Carolina was a postdoctoral fellow at the Joint BioEnergy Institute where she worked with a robotic platform to produce and optimize a multi-component enzyme mixture for the hydrolysis of ionic liquid pretreated lignocellulosic biomass.
Carolina graduated in Chemical Engineering and received her Ph.D. in Chemical and Biochemical Process Technology within the Department of Biochemical Engineering at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. The focus of her doctoral thesis was in the conversion of the whole crop of sweet sorghum for bioethanol production. For eight years, Carolina was part of a laboratory, which is a partnership between the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and a Brazilian oil company, responsible to develop new biomass valorization processes with emphasis on production of butanol and other organic solvents.
- Ph.D. in Chemical and Biochemical Process Technology, Federal University, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Uberlandia
- Postdoctoral Fellow at JointBioEnergy Institute
- Researcher, Laboratory of Bioprocess Development, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
- Intern, Cosmetic Division, Start Quimica