Akash conducts optimization, scale up, and techno-economic studies for all unit operations at ABPDU. Credited with co-inventing a novel process for converting natural plant oils to biofuels and other specialty chemicals, Akash has worked on industrial processes such as metathesis, transesterification, thermochemical conversion and hydrogenation. Akash has several years of experience in the fields of chemical engineering, R&D, biofuels, biomass conversion, energy development, petroleum refinery, and fuel characterization by ASTM protocols.
- Fermentation Technology, MIT
- Project Management, UC Berkeley Extension
- M.S.in Chemical Engineering, SUNY
- B.E. in Chemical Engineering, Manipal Institute of Technology, India
- Staff Chemical Engineer, LTS Research Laboratories
- Process Engineer, Montana State University Bioenergy Center
Patents, Awards & Recognition
- AIChE YP 35 Under 35 Award for 2017
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab Spot Recognition Award: 2015, 2016, 2017
- Reactor vessel used for performing multiple pretreatments. U.S. Patent Application 14/944036, Filed November 17, 2015
- Process of converting natural plant oils to biofuels. US Patent Application 61/973, 518, Filed April 1, 2014
Notable Papers and Publications
- “Predictive modeling to de-risk bio-based manufacturing by adapting to variability in lignocellulosic biomass supply,” Bioresource Technology (2017).
- “Improved Method for Determination of Biofuel Sugars by HPAE-PAD,” ThermoScientific (2016).
- “Blending municipal solid waste with corn stover for sugar production using ionic liquid process,” Bioresource Technology (2015).
- “Evaluation of Biodiesel Derived from Camelina sativa Oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society (2012).
- “Alkene Metathesis of Camelina FAME with Supercritical Ethylen,” 2012 AIChE Annual Meeting.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Chair, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Northern California Section, FY 15 to present
- Lean Six Green Belt Certification
- Director at Large—Public Relations Chair, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Northern California Section, FY 14-15
- Member, Symposium of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2014-2015
- Project Management Professional